More than 65,000 knee replacement surgeries are performed in Australia each year, with the number of hip replacements following close behind. Joint replacement procedures are improving the quality of life of thousands of Australians and with an ageing population, the need for joint replacements is only expected to increase.
With our new “no-gap” joint replacement surgery, Westside Private Hospital and the private insurance provider Medibank are now taking an important step towards making joint replacement surgeries more accessible to eligible patients in Queensland.
Thanks to the “no-gap” program, more than half a million Medibank customers across Australia will be eligible to save on average $1,500 in out-of-pocket costs on their joint replacements.
The increasing customer demand was one of the main drivers behind the decision of bringing the “no-gap” program to Westside Private Hospital.
“The no-gap joint replacement program is providing many of our customers with greater choice and control when it comes to how and where they access healthcare and what it will cost,” Medibank Chief Executive Officer David Koczkar explains.
“By working with our hospital and doctor partners to support these new options, customers can pay no out-of-pocket medical costs, and can choose the healthcare that suits their needs in consultation with their doctor,” Mr Koczkar said.
As the exclusive provider of Medibank’s “no-gap” joint replacements in Queensland, Westside Private Hospital is proud to put patients back in control of their health – and get them back on their feet faster.
What does the Medibank “no-gap” joint replacement program cover?
With the “no-gap” joint replacement program, Medibank and Westside Private remove all out-of-pocket costs associated with knee, hip and shoulder joint replacement surgeries with selected Westside Private surgeons alongside our team of anaesthetists and surgical assistants.
Eligible Medibank members pay no out-of-pocket costs* on the following services:
- Pre-admission joint assessment and education
- Joint replacement surgery including all theatre costs
- The cost of the prosthesis (artificial joint)
- Anaesthetist costs
- Assistant surgeon costs
- Hospital accommodation
- Diagnostic tests and scans
If clinically appropriate, eligible patients may also receive rehabilitation in the comfort of their own homes.
“No-gap” joint replacement – What to expect
In cooperation with Medibank, Westside Private has designed a doctor-led program to provide members with more choice and transparency when undergoing a joint replacement in Brisbane.
Eligible Medibank members receive additional support both before and after their joint replacement surgery. This may include physiotherapy and allied health deemed necessary by our treating doctors.
Your Westside Private surgeon will work with you to determine the best treatment approach . Contact our friendly team today to find out more.
Interested in gap-free joint replacement surgery?
- Check your cover To access “no-gap” joint replacements, patients must meet the following requirements:
- They must have Medibank hospital cover that includes joint replacements
- They must have served all applicable waiting periods
- The treatment must be clinically appropriate
Please call Medibank at 1300 733 338 to check your eligibility and level of cover.
- Talk to our healthcare team Once you’ve confirmed your eligibility, your Westside Private surgeon will work with you to decide if a joint replacement is in fact right for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the most common joint replacement surgeries? Hip and knee replacements are the most commonly performed joint replacement surgeries in Australia. Replacement surgery can also be performed on other joints, including shoulder joints, ankles, wrists and elbows.
- How much do joint replacements cost?Without private health cover, knee replacements can cost anywhere between $18,000 to $30,000, hip replacements easily range from $19,000 to $42,000. The average out-of-pocket cost charged for joint replacements for privately insured patients with Medibank is around $1,500, but rarely more than $3,000.